Tragedy has struck a Rochdale landmark pub, The Baum, over the weekend causing literally pounds of damage when fire swept through the building.

Firefighters who were called to the blaze spent several hours tackling the inferno. The cause of the fire  has been identified by the fire investigation team as misadventure.

“It’s very important that you pay attention when mucking around with the log fire in a pub. ” Head of Rochdale’s Fire Brigade, John Blaze, told The Rochdale Herald.

“It seems that some random bloke kept pratting about with the fire in the pub, chucking logs on it and prodding and poking at it.”

“You should never look at the mantlepiece whilst poking the fire, that’s how accidents like these happen.”

“And if you are going to poke around in somebody else’s strange fire you should always take precautions. Perhaps have a bucket of water or foam around or a fire extinguisher to hand.”

“What are you laughing about? I’m being serious. We’re lucky nobody was hurt.”

The completely remodeled Baum pub will be re-opening tonight and has some lovely craft ales on tap as usual.

SHARE
Quentin D Fortesqueue is a founding editor of The Rochdale Herald. Part time amateur narcissist and full time satirist Quentin is never happier than when playing his lute and drinking a full bodied Bordeaux. He rarely plays the lute and never gets to drink Bordeaux.